Day 13 Glaisdale to Robin Hood’s Bay (19 miles)

The day started slightly overcast which wasn’t as per prediction but it did mean that it would be more comfortable for walking. This was it, the final push for Robin Hood’s Bay (RHB). We were started by 9 and after viewing the Beggar’s Bridge in Glaisdale (built by a local labourer made good so that future suitors wouldn’t have a 10 mile walk to visit their sweethearts in Glaisdale like he had) we walked above Glaisdale Beck in wooded hills.

Beggars Bridge

After some pleasant walking for an hour we ended up at Grosmont through which the North York Moors railway runs. We had just missed the train and to Mike’s disgust we stopped for a coffee in the sunshine whilst awaiting the next train.

Train at Grosmont

Life is all about balance, after our rest in the sun at the coffee shop after only an hour’s walk we had to pay back for this indulgence. The road out of Grosmont which we had to climb had a 1:3 gradient and twice at bends we thought we had come to the top of the climb only for it to shortly resume. Eventually we reached the top, passed the 3 Brummies and were on the moors for a stretch. I took a diversion to look at an ancient stone circle (waste of time) but there were plently of grouse in the heather including one plucky individual who whilst only  a metre away from me refused to fly when I lunged at him, he should survive the 12th!

We crossed the busy Whitby road and got a distant view of the town with its abbey on the cliffs where Dracula stayed whilst in Whitby.

Whitby from Sleights Moor

We then dropped down to Littlebeck and started walking with the Brummies. We followed a muddy riverside path towards Falling Foss and passed a hermit’s shelter.

Hermitage near Falling Foss

Shortlya fter we reached Falling Foss which is quite a tourist trap with a tea room, after having lunch here along with quite a few other C2Cers we carried on (today was definitely a day to treat ourselves).

Falling Foss Waterfall

Suitably refreshed we continued and were soon at Graystone Hills, a large moor with some rather boggy bits, the way had been well trampled and whilst we could feel waves underneath the reeds we were walking on we did not get too muddy. Our paths crossed with 3 teenagers just starting the C2C east to west & carrying tents etc – rather them than me & I bet Mark was glad that Di had put her foot down about them camping!

After the moor we came to our first road sign for RHB, only 3.5 miles by road but 5 by the path that we were to take, Wainwright you see was a sadist.

Sheila was coming to meet us at the end and had been delayed with traffic so we bid the Brummies a temporary goodbye and went and had a pint in Hawkser, just off the path (3rd refreshment stop of the day – I told you it was a day to enjoy). In the pub we got talking to a local whose accent was so thick we understood about one word in 3. Having just left the pub we heard from Sheila that she was in RHB & we were still an hour away. Knowing the end was nigh our steps accelerated & we passed through a caravan park where the residents wondered what we were up to.

Almost there!

We dropped down through the caravan park and were finally at the North Sea and just had a cliff walk to the end.


Arrival at the North Sea

Mike was now desperate to get to RHB & was most upset that I took time off to re-vaseline my feet ( I had been taking pain-killers every 2 hours to make the walk bearable), upon re-starting he was off like a shot & I had to slow him down on several occasions, hence the walk along the cliffs wasn’t as pleasurable as it could have been, the views were great even if they were seen at speed.

Yorkshire Cliff top

Just near the end we finally got a view of RHB, which we had been striving for through torrential rain, lightning storms, bogs, high winds, floods, dodgy hostels, lots of beer and good company for 13 days.

View of Robin Hood’s Bay from cliff walk

Sheila was sitting in the sun at our guest house with a drink as we entered RHB, there was to be no stopping to get rid of rucksacks the sea was calling. We dropped down the steep hill in the sunshine past all the tourists in their flip flops and now were just metres behind the Brummies even though we’d diverted off the path for a pint just 5 miles before.

At the Bay Hotel, Mark, Di, Stuart, Ann & Anna (2 Norwegians) were already there, looking clean & showered (b****ds) and having a drink in the sun & gave all 5 of us a cheer. It was then a case of making sure we dipped our feet in the North Sea & throwing our pebbles carried from St Bees in to the sea so that future generations of geologists will be awfully confused.

Preparing to liberate our Irish Sea pebbles

We then simply chilled out in the sun with a beer with those we had walked with & Sheila who had supported us both from afar & near (including the offer to undertake a 3 hour drive to bring us fresh clothes to Osmotherly). The time at the Bay Hotel went too quick after all the experiences we had shared, but this must count as the most unforgettable fortnight of our lives.

The absolute end!

Wee count 5

Total wee count over 13 days ONLY 55!



This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Day 13 Glaisdale to Robin Hood’s Bay (19 miles)

  1. Mark Poole says:

    Well done chaps. A great blog and have to agree a great experience in many ways. Like you I felt a bit lost the next day wondering why I was not walking again. Role on the next trip.

  2. Geoff says:

    I think your trousers shrunk in all that rain – they look to be half way up your legs…..

    ps well done for finishing.

Comments are closed.